30 July 2006

americorps

today i'm feeling pretty enthusiastic about the americorps position i interviewed for earlier this week. although neither ideal nor glamorous, there are some very positive things about the job:

-Ruth, the program coordinator, said that art education can definitely be integrated into the tutoring

-it'll be a completely different experience, something i wanted to get from moving here

-i'd feel like i'm making a difference at a personal level

-who knows, it may inspire me to become a teacher

-the education award for student loans is big

-i have enough $ saved so that realistically it won't be difficult to survive on an americorps salary, especially considering the cost of living down here

-americorps is a great chance to open doors in the future, for grad school, jobs, teaching, peace corps or whatever. basically it's great experience

-it will be super challenging but potentially could be really rewarding as well. all the kids i'd be working with are 'at-risk', i.e. really troubled

-will help with my spanish, which i want to learn down here. it is my understanding that if I do work at the high school i will be working with latino/a students

-think i will be placed with high school kids; there are two areas, elementary and high school. two americorps members will be at the high school, and the rest (15 or so) are in elementary

-it's only a year commitment, and it'd coincide with joe's yearlong contract, so we'd be able to do something different after the year if we wanted to


I was with Holly from the museums all day today. I'm meeting with her tomorrow and she's going to check with the director about the job i applied for a while back. since she's the volunteer coordinator for the museums, i'd have no trouble staying active with the museums on a volunteer basis if i do decide to do americorps. i know there's weekend openings to help with art classes at the museum of fine art, so that is a possibility too.

decisions, decisions.

2 comments:

j0eb0t-xj9 said...

the couple that americorps together, stays together.

Anonymous said...

Hi, friend Molly -

aggh, is this the best way to contact you, to send you links and all that? Seems frightfully public, y'know. Do you have, like, real email?

We've been sweltering like dogs here in MN, esp. those of use who are too proud to air-condition. Nonetheless, Ernie K-Doe is available all across the planet, and we are all in his debt, mothers-in-law too; any PRess is good PRess.

I am now deep in the morass of blogging possibilities, to the point that I think I need to learn MySQL programming, PHP, etc., when all I really want to do is share my beautiful thoughts with the innocent. I recently figured I need at least eleven blogs, much like the eleven dimensions demanded by string/brane theory. Who cares? I was doing the random thing on Blogger and ran across a site in total Japanese; completely incomprehensible, and I immediately reacted: why didn't I think of that! So much to do...

Do you dig Flickr? It bugs me that Blogger doesn't allow photo galleries, but I saw an otherwise wretched site that had a link to a Flickr spot, and it seemed a reasonable option. I'm such a pathetic elitist.

Anyway, super best wishes to you and Joe; your house looks delightful, and americorps can't possibly be as scary as the name suggests...? If I can't send you links (non-sausage), check out "thisisnotamagazine" or "thisisamagazine." Take yr pick. :-|

- John.