27 August 2008

chi

back to blogworld and it feels so good.

so much is new, and so much completely left out since feb. i can't believe i let this go for so long. rather than backtracking the past 6 months I’m going to stick to the here & now.

and here & now is Chicago! yeeees i’m loving it here more and more each day.

IMG_6627

I’ll admit that I was pretty stressed here at first, trying to find a job, trying to cram all my possessions into my little apartment, trying not to spend too much money, trying not to miss my friends and family.

but luckily, the apartment is very nice if a little small, the neighborhood (bucktown) is leafy, happening & safe, I found a sweet job, joe found 2 jobs, the cat has adjusted rather well, so jesse, you can rest easy, i know you've been worried about her! ha.

we have been here not even a month but have already had three visitors (ari, brian and terry) with more in the works. it’s certainly more accessible than the LC.

joe works a lot between the two jobs. he usually leaves in the morning and gets home around midnite or 1am. so I am usually alone for dinner which is a bummer. I took our evenings together for granted before this, but it does make me really appreciate the time we do have together (usually only sundays).

for example, this past sunday we had a fun adventure. first off we checked out the bucktown art fair, about a block from our apt. picture a smaller uptown art fair, that’s about what it was like. pretty cool things, all way out of our price range. so then we headed to the neighborhood earwax café, for some awesome vegetarian brunch and circus freak décor. we hopped on the bikes and biked over to Lincoln park, which rivals central park and rode around ending up on the lakeshore for a while.

IMG_6625
joe at lincoln park

I was a little nervous about biking around the city but it was a lot easier and less scary than I thought it would be. I’m going to get a helmet and a light and then I’ll be set. but I don’t want one of those alien-esque pointy helmets. I need a little more style than that so I am holding out.

so anyhoo.

about the new job. I am thrilled about it. my title is ‘auxiliary programs coordinator and after school liaison’ at a really cool Montessori school here. it is, I’ve been told, the largest Montessori in the country (550 students). so I help administer/organize a very comprehensive & dynamic after school program, assisting the program director. it’s very similar to what I did in NM however the program’s much larger. and I will have plenty of time working directly with the students. it also appears to be a very positive, welcoming work environment. on top of that, my hours are 10-6 (no early mornings!!) and the commute is easy since it’s only a neighborhood away, right on the el. pretty sweet.

so that’s about it for tonite, but I am going to try to post my new adventures here frequently. there are already a few things up on flickr and more to come I’m sure.

2 comments:

CSA said...

HA! i knew you would eventually come around to the helmet way of life!
if you get joe to wear one (WHICH HE SHOULD), send a photo.
honestly, once you are in a place where there are lots of serious bikers (i.e. people who bike to work and other necessary locations far away from their homes), you feel a little more silly not wearing a helmet. or at least i did.

anyway, off the soap box. I am so glad you found a great job -- it sounds like the perfect match for your skills and interests! i am definitely coming to chicago to make the rounds, probably in march....prepare the way!

miss you two! every time kiernan or i see a red jeep our heart bleeds!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job and new town... I'm going to listen to some Bowie now.