14 September 2008

what did i just do?

...ahhhh ! i just dropped lots of moolah on a new computer. this is intense. i have a hard time spending. and i've spent tons lately what with the move and the job-less summer.

HOWEVER, the transition is over. i have a new job. i'll still have some savings leftover, but i'll just have to cross my fingers that no major financial crisis comes my way soon. i'll be fine (here's hoping).

one perk i am fortunate enough to capitalize on is the apple for education discounts. since i work at a school, i qualify (o-o-oh yeaaah).

okay, putting the worry aside, it in no way eclipses the sheer excitement of it all! i do in fact have to wait up to five business days for the components to arrive. are you in the least bit interested in exactly what i've purchased? probably not, but i shall elaborate anyway.

so i got me a new macbook with 4GB memory and 120GB HD. I didn't spring for the 'black' but i considered it (the verdict: they are way too cool for me). and there's more: the requisite MS office, but also adobe creative suite design premium which has pretty much all the software I will ever need to persue digital photography/graphic/web/design until i explode. i am super excited by this, because i want to get serious (as in serious hobbyist) with photography and especially on the digital manipulation side of things. the education discount really helped me on that one, since it's about $1800 worth of software right there at a steep price reduction. so you should look forward to seeing some evidence of my new toys soon.

furthermore, the other cool part about the education deal is that i get a free ipod touch. plus the usual free printer/copier thingamajig. i also got an adaptor to plug the whole shebang into our new fancy television so that i can see my photos in giant. yes!!!!

so, there you have it. it's on its way. i spend a large chunk of my savings, then i hop over to the nytimes site to see that today america has a financial meltdown of sorts. great.

anyhoo, today has been a leisurely day of cooking & crafting for me. it has been raining non-stop which blew my weekend plans bigtime. that is, i have been looking forward to the renegade craft fair for quite some time now, and it was right near my house, but the downpour squashed my dreams of going to that. blah!

last night i accidentally locked myself out of the apartment, with nothing but my cell phone and the cat. i panicked for a bit (joe was working until way late), but we were eventually let in by the neighbor after about 20 minutes. mind you it was rainy cold & dark. today i had to train downtown to bring joe some keys since he had locked the keys in the jeep. jeesh.

1 comment:

Howard said...

Cool, I have the adobe production premium and know most of the software quite well. If you need any pointers let me know. Also, I have some texts on photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, after effects, and html programming that I hardly use anymore if you were interested.

I didnt know you were interested in this stuff. I am taking some online classes starting in October in Visual Communication with focus on Digital design, so maybe we can share our experiences. Hope you are well.